Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Materials

I'm very cheap when it comes to materials in most cases. A large amount of my yarn comes from my Aunts or places like Big Lots that sells small, special type yarns for a dollar. I also use acrylic, man made fibers, to keep the cost down. Brands like Red Heart use these types of fibers and cost around $2.33. I consider this a pretty good price for the amount of stuffed animals you can make with it. By far the most common type of yarn that I adore is Pound of Love from Lion Brand. As the name suggests it really is a pound. For $7.97 this yarn just keeps going and going to the point sometimes I want it to go away. Slowpoke, as well as these projects:
 have been made using this pound of love yarn. As you can see by the last picture I more then likely still have half the skein. You can also see a tan lump of Satin Bernat yarn. It is a very nice feeling yarn with a bit of a shine to it that the others just don't have. The fuzzy cat had the pound of love paired with Phentex Fashion Eight yarn. It took one skein of the Fashion Eight yarn and came from Big Lots. One last type of yarn I use regularly was a gift from my Aunt when she was cleaning out her stash. It is called Luster Sheen and is a very small type of yarn.
Here are my crochet hooks:
Starting with the purple they are K/101/2-6.50mm, a standard size H, a G/6-4.25mm, a F/5-3.75mm, a E/4-3.50mm, and finally a 5/1.90mm. K is used for doubling up on yarn or for special fuzzy yarn. Both kittens at the start of the page where made using this hook. The second is what I use for Red Heart yarn or others like it. G and F can both be used for baby thread but more often then not I will use F. E is what I use for Luster Sheen. 5 is good for thread. I do not use my 5 hook often but it is a handy little one to have around.

And finally my top 5 yarns I currently have in stock:
1) Move over baby animals, snuggly ducklings, or anything else cute and associated with snuggles this is by far the softest thing I've found in a very, very long time.
2) Still very soft with deeper colors I don't often see with this type of yarn.
3) I'll admit it is a really weird set of colors that should be a crime to use for carpet, I'm looking at you my elementary school, yet I am deeply attracted to it in this skein.
4) I just realized this one looks like my bed spread....not too sure how I feel about that.
5) So far these rolls have been found at Big Lots but this final one came from my Aunt N and is a Red Heart Holiday yarn. I don't know if it was a limited time offer or if I'm lucky I can find it now. I'll just have to keep a look out.

Keep an eye out tomorrow there is more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment