Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Welcome to My Crafters Blog.

I expect most reading this are dear friends who took the time to encourage me. I am thankful they have. That encouragement helped me to want to start this blog and with it I feel I am closer to my dream of having creativity in my life by using it. I want to use this blog to push me to work every day so I have something to show that yes I am getting somewhere with all my big talk. I wish to have a focus of making stuffed animals, mostly through the use of crochet, as well as ink still lives throughout my posts.

Still lives are so important to art they should be the biggest part of your drawing life. I can't say I have done well in this area but I believe if I make it a point to not only write about a subject but also draw it I can have still life drawing because as important as it should be. When I look at an object I not only see what it is but what it could be. I can see its outline as if it was already a drawing, I know I can make the art I see then others can see it too. There is purely good feelings that come from seeing what I have done and what I can do. I couldn't imagine what I would do, from how I use my time, to what I would talk about, or anything if it wasn't for art.

Well that may be a stretch but my thoughts often times do revolve around art, it is that ingrained. I find it really hard to say what got me into art. I have three different memories that tell me what may be considered the start. When I was around 4-6 years old we where lucky enough to have a home computer. It was mostly used for pacman, tetris, a few shooter games, but it also had ms paint on it. I remember drawing snowmen with the circle shapes as well as having a color by number program. Later on I was inspired by fake, long lasting tattoos that came out of vending machines type things at a skate rink. My mother was so made at my spending all the money she gave me on them but I enjoyed looking at them many years later. I remember trying to draw them in the 6th grade with an art loving teacher. I remember very distinctly that she had a skip science a few times for art projects. One was when she set up a still life of a boot, some flowers, and other nicknacks for us to paint with water colors. This painting is still hanging outside my room at my mothers. At the time we also had a poem assignment. I took it upon myself to do a second based on the objects in the painting.

"That's How Beautiful Art Is"
Rosy red, blossoming vibrant colors in the plants.
Boots towering like black trees in the blue hazy sky.
Horses' shoes...
How you see the horses upon them when carriages were still alive on the plains,
Riding into the vast wilderness.
Red caps, like the blazing sun of Texes.
All this in one picture, that's how beautiful art is.

I had the great honor of having it published in the 2003 Spring A celebration of Young Poets for the Rocky Mountain area.

A little wile later my parents would get divorced with my father moving to South Carolina. My Aunt N lives next door. When I went to see here she was crocheting and I asked to learn. She gave me my first hook, one I still use today. I made little clothes for my stuffed animals with the basic stitch I knew but after the 7th grade I didn't touch it much. My Senior year of highschool I ran into a thread on gaia called the creative exchange that got me back into crochet. I wanted to learn to read patterns. One of the lovely users helped me grasp it a bit and from there I looked at websites and videos to pick up what I didn't already know. I had used a pattern to make a bunny wile I was at school and a friend at the time mention a drifloon being her fav pokemon. Some how these two things crashed together and I made her a drifloon hat. My first project where a major addition to a pattern was made. The pattern was for the had and I came up with side flaps and all the details to turn a hat into a pokemon.

A year later I would pick up crochet again and make another big project. This time I depended 100% on the skills I had picked up and made a Flaaffy doll, my first free style plushie. It stands at 8" and took 100 hours spread out over a year and a half.

This year I have gone all out with making plushies. With the release of pokemon Black and White I had another pokemon challenge on my hand, this time a 12 inch Herdier doll. He is currently in the last stages. I have also made number of smaller plushies that I eventually hope to sell.

Today I finished one for my friend Liz on Zantarni. This "little" guy is 14" long and 5.5" tall and taking 20 hours to complete. I think his derp face is perfect for him.

1 comment:

  1. I love the slowpoke :| Best face ever Moony <3

    ReplyDelete